In a recent survey, 95 percent of employers said they consider technology a “must-have” or “very important” in their day-to-day job functions. Additionally, 78 percent of employers said they’re satisfied with the frequency of communication about technology from their broker. But what about the other 22 percent?

Since the beginning of our time as a third-party administrator, MedBen has worked with brokers to help them serve client needs. Such technological advancements as our MedBen Analytics reporting platform, MedBen Secure protected document transmission, and MedBen Access service center (including our newly-developed mobile app) enable brokers and their clients to quickly answer questions and make informed plan decisions.

Furthermore, we offer our broker partners a wide variety of solutions for their clients, from plan design and pharmacy cost-containment strategies to “physician first” worksite programs, and much more. Plus, our brokers and their clients know that they have continuous access to dedicated Account Managers to answer specific plan or claim-related questions.

Brokers interested in partnering with MedBen are welcome to contact VP of Sales and Marketing Brian Fargus at 1-888-627-8683.